A tiered cake can completely transform the look of any dessert. More than just a pretty embellishment, a tiered cake provides a unique level of presentation that makes it seem like you have a great deal more time put into it than you really did. And, of course, the best part is that, by layering your ingredients, you’re getting twice the deliciousness, too!
Making a cake can seem pretty intimidating at first, especially if you haven’t done much baking in the past. But once you learn how to make a cake, you’ll be good to go—there is no reason to spend all your money on an expensive cake when you can make a beautiful and delicious cake for a fraction of the price.
Decorating your cake is what truly sets it apart from that of your craftiest friends. But not all cakes are created the same, and although most recipes will have you “frosting” your cake with whipped cream, some recipes call for using a cream cheese frosting. But if you want to make it a showstopper, you’re going to have to make a multi-tier cake.
Here’s How to Make a Multi-Tier Cake:
- First, find a cake board with a 2-inch lip all the way around.
- Next, find a square cake mold or cupcake mold that fits inside that board.
- Once you get everything lined up, trace the lip on the board onto the mold.
- Next, stack your first cake layer, then cut dowel rods to the height of the stack.
- Put the cake board into your freezer, cut your second cake layer, and stack it on top of the first.
- Repeat the process, making sure to keep track of which layer goes at the top.
- Once you’ve got your layers stacked, fill hollow areas in your cake with cake batter.
- After that, use buttercream icing and spatulas to smooth it out.
- Then cover the cake in buttercream icing.
- Once it’s iced, use a spatula to smooth the icing, then decorate with fondant gently.
Make any cake, and a top tier always looks better than the bottom tier. While whipped cream wins for creamy beauty and neatness, a cake with layers looks elegant. The layers make it look as if you’re pouring something into a glass, which is an impossible feat. But no matter why the cake has layers, making the bottom tier look as good as the top doesn’t require baking three different layers, as some people might think.
Cakes are the go-to dessert for special occasions such as birthdays and Easter. They are usually served in tiers, with a bottom, a middle, and a top tier. The tiers can be stacked on top of each other, or the bottom tier can be served before the top tier. Making a tiered cake is a cake decorating technique that can make a big difference in the overall presentation of your cake. It’s popular in wedding cakes and also in birthday cakes, where the addition of more tiers allows the cake designer to show off their creativity and skills. It’s also common for tiered cakes to feature fun themes, like Star Wars or Marvel superheroes.
A cake that looks like it came from a bakery can be one of the more impressive things you can make in the kitchen. These cakes are as delicious as they are impressive. But making one can seem complicated. The layers, frosting, and decorating can be intimidating to some, but the satisfaction that comes from creating such a beautiful cake can be worth it. While you could certainly buy the finished product, don’t pass up the opportunity to save money by learning how to make a cake look like a cake.
A tiered cake is much more than an aesthetically pleasing dessert. A layered cake typically has 3 to 4 layers, and each layer can be a different flavor or different flavors of the same one. You can choose to stack the layers on top of each other or layer them horizontally or vertically. Some of them have decorative details such as fondant flowers, while others have frosting swirls that mimic a candle.